Telecheck is a service provided by East Sussex County Council to ensure that adults are supported to live safely and securely in their own community and given information to maintain their wellbeing.
It offers a schedule of real time telephone calls for eligible clients who need support to live independently. Referrals for the service are made by East Sussex County Council’s adult social care teams.
To provide a service to people who need support to live independently. This is particularly important for older and disabled people, people with long term conditions and people who are vulnerable, isolated or lonely
The principal objectives of the service are to:
- Develop and maintain a caseload providing regular and time-limited contact with clients assessed as being in need of the support, eg. up to 6 months initially, ensuring their safety and wellbeing.
- Maintain effective relationships with relevant East Sussex County Council teams to communicate safeguarding issues and changes in need, where appropriate.
- Signpost clients to local services which will support them to maintain their independence.
- Collect and share data to support understanding of the effectiveness of the proactive call monitoring service.
The calls are made by Welbeing’s contact centre who checking that their wellbeing is being maintained:
- Checking that they are safe and secure
- Signposting them to wider community resources, where appropriate
- Maintaining their independence in the community
- Offering a degree of brief social contact
- Telecare products
- 333 clients have been supported by the service since March 2014
- The average call duration is just under two minutes
- Over 5,500 calls were placed in March 2016
- On average there have been 14 new starts each month
- Clients receive an average of 37 calls per month
“The service worked really well for me to remind me to take my medication regularly and I was always pleased to hear from the operators. When my wife returned home from hospital the calls stopped but my wife and I are both thankful that that calls enabled me to be able to stay at home rather than go into temporary care”
Mr G, Service User